Monday, April 30, 2012

April 30, 2012 - Monday

Wow...this month is over!!  Where in the heck did it go?  As I get older - the days go by faster and I simply have too much to do for this nonsense - don't you agree? 

This weekend was a busy one.. I had two sessions of B-a-a-a-d Girls Club!  What fun!  We all worked on SHEEP name tags!!  They turned out adorable!  What fun 'show-n-tell' projects we had too!  Such talent in that room... I'm here to tell you. 

Today is a catch up day for me... putting away all of my weekend supplies - getting my head wrapped around next month's project - finish cutting out a quilt - work on printing my fabric (Inklingo) for my hand piecing project(clam shell pickle dish) - stitching on my wool blocks ..... Whew... time for a nap!

Hey... I found some cool things to show you over the weekend!!

Ok.... this is the jackpot for me!  LOVE old windows... and this one is so unique - it's gorgeous.   Then they attached an old shelf (LOVE them too) then placed old clay pots with WONDERFUL PATINA upon the shelf..how can it get any better?  EAT IT UP!!


*********************************************

What an adorable way to dress up an ugly file cabinet!  Wouldn't it be wonderful to have a row of them across one wall in your sewing room?  OMG... you could have files for your patterns, books, design ideas... even store fat quarters and fabric in them.  This is wall paper (textured) and they've cut plastic framing and glued to the outside.   Covered up the hand pull with old fashioned mustache pull handles.  I think it's a super idea!



In my "imaginary" RETREAT HOUSE (that I dream of having) this would be an addition to the rooms.  These little signs are simply adorable and OH-SO-CUTE!!  You could even name the rooms in the hallway that everyone sleeps in... so they know where to find their bed!!!  Oh what the heck...this would even be cute in your house... naming the bedrooms, bath, laundry!  Love the wreaths on the doors too!!!  Refreshing!!



********************************
Now...this is a MUST in my sewing room!  Check out what they did with the old yardstick!!  They have hooked it to the rod at both ends!!  I'm telling you.. .people are so darn clever!  This is a "keeper" idea!!!  I adore antique yardsticks - I think it's so much fun to read them and see where they came from.... hardware stores to funeral homes!!



*****************************************************

Isn't this pretty... an old shutter with clay pots hanging from it... with small plants.  This would be my speed...since my green thumb isn't so much!  If I loose a little plant, I can just buy a smaller one and pop it in it's place.  Love the textured brick wall it's hanging on...then that little rake just was an adorable touch to  the display.  Of course...it's my favorite color... GREEN!!



*****************************

How cute is this idea?  An OLD, OLD door knob they've attached to there center island.  It's used to hang dishtowels on.  So much better than a hook...I would be running into that thing on a daily basis... one bruised hip...that's for sure. 
This may soften the blow...


**********************

This idea blew me away... I thought it was so cool.  They have taken one of the old paper roller holders and hung it on the wall.  Then they've unrolled it and written information on it!  Isn't that a cute idea.  What a fun way to announce menus, specials, sales, etc. to your customers!  LOVE IT!!!  It's so 'ME' - don't you think?



**************************************

Look what Pam Buda - Heartspun Quilts has just finished. 
 
Lucy's Prairie Pockets pattern is all finished!
 
I just had the best time creating a bunch of these pockets for my new pattern. Not familiar with what a Prairie Pocket is? Here's a bit of early American history to fill you in......
Lucy Locket lost her pocket,
Kitty Fisher found it,
Not a penny was there in it,
Only ribbon round it!
This nursery rhyme, published in England in 1842, tells of poor Lucy losing her pocket, which was very likely a fabric pocket worn separately, on top of her petticoats, and worn under her skirt or dress. 17th, 18th and 19th century American women made and used these pockets as well, as their clothes contained no sewn-in pockets as we know them today. The pockets were flat, and somewhat U-shaped, that tied around her waist. A slit in the side of her outer skirt allowed the women discreet access to the pocket and its belongings, which lay underneath. Women wore these pockets singly, and in pairs, which helped to accentuate her hips, being the style at the time.
Pockets were made from every fabric imaginable. Some were embellished with beautiful crewel and embroidery work, some with patchwork and scraps, and others of plain cloth. Women kept all kind of needful things in their pockets such as letters, books, glasses, etc., and of course, thimbles, needles, thread, and patchwork. At night, they often hung from the bedpost to hold a watch, handkerchief or glasses.
Pockets were very much a part of housewifery in early America, and today, we can enjoy making a pocket for our own needful things, to wear as we work, or just to decorate a room.



Plus... I'm so excited for Pam... she's now designing fabric for Marcus Brothers.  Read what she says...

My inspiration for Heart of the Prairie came from many of the antique quilts I own made in the nineteenth century. I'm very fond of simple calico prints, and chose to
feature the popular Indigo blues, pinks, and soft greens of the era.
These simple prints echo the simple life of early America.

I also chose to add two floral prints that, in my mind, would have been something a Prairie woman would have chosen, to make a special Sunday dress, to wear to church, and other social gatherings.

Most of the light print backgrounds feature a new finish I call "Prairie Dirty",
giving them a feel of comfort that comes from daily use, and the
gentle aged patina of soft wear, as nothing stayed white and clean on the Prairie!
 
Go to her blog and see some pictures of the fabric:  Heartspun Quilts Blog
 
******************************************
Look at this setting... isn't it beautiful... all decorated with rose prints!  Then the flowered couch just is the icing on the cake.  The way the wall is divided with the wallboard and soft pink paint is simply stunning.  I could sit there and read a book or stitch... couldn't you?

******************************

This bathroom rocks my world.  The way they have used the architecture in the room and enhanced the tub area with curtains and hanging fixtures... OH MY... I could be soaking in that tub forever.  It's fit for a princess. 


***********************************************

Now... how sweet is this?  Angel wings above the bed.  I'd buy these in a heartbeat if I saw them out and about!!! 
They are just toooooo wonderful!!! 


**************************************************

Okay... you know how I feel about old suitcases with this look right?  They rock my world (have no clue why...just one of those things...)  Look at the stack of them in this house!  Way scary... I know those sweet things would come tumbling down on me.... It's safe to say they would need to be secured.   WOW.... AWESOME!!!  They are almost IMPOSSIBLE to find anymore in antique shops!


*********************************************

And... look at these cute little fellows... all dressed up for Halloween!!!  On this note... it's time for me to get busy!

Hope you had a great weekend...
and a fun - fulfilled week ahead of you!

Chat later...

Gloria

No comments: