Saturday, February 18, 2012

February 18, 2012 - Saturday

Yippee... it's the weekend!!  I did that cheer for those of you that have to work ((sorry))... Everyday is like the weekend to me now... aaahhh... life is ssssssssssssssoooooooooooo  good!

Today... we are going on a field trip to Best Buy and getting NEW PHONES!  I can't wait... we're going to get the new Iphones... the the ones you can talk into... and see each other when you're talking.  Now...don't get me wrong... I don't need anything this fancy!  But guess what???  We're getting them anyway.  It's time to splurge and enjoy the wonderful technology in this world.  Although...this seeing each other thing..that's a little scary to me!!  Does that mean I have to keep my hair combed all the time... lipstick on??? NOT...that will not be the case.

Anyway...I like the talking into the phone deal.  I wonder just how far it will take me if I give it commands.  Now...when they can turn a phone into a MAID... that will be the BEST SELLER in the world.  Talk about trying to meet supply and demand... whew!  We need to buy stock with that company.  I wish I had the brains to make it happen!

Hey... Look at this silly little fellow!  Don't you want to burst out laughing and saying..."aw... poor baby" at the same time!  Have you ever ripped your pants on a fence?  I HAVE!!!  Isn't it funny how the rip goes into that "L" shape that you just can't repair????  I've never been able to figure out how that happens.  If you tried to rip it in that shape yourself... it would NOT happen!



I've found some NEW yummy recipes.  I'm telling y'all... these are killer dishes for you...  LOOK!!!


I love pears, apples, watercress and Roquefort cheese... so tell me..how in the world could this not taste anything but wonderful.  I showed it to my Jack and he thought it sounded wonderful too.  Now here is my delima.. I love pears...but I only like the type that are soft, juicy and sweet.  Not... the kind that you try to bite into and they are like rocks!  So...does anyone know the NAME of the best pear?  If so... leave me a comment!!  In the interim.. I think I'll google that little issue and see what they tell me.  Then.. this recipe and I are going on a date together!!  YUMALICIOUS!!

Here's the recipe!

Pear Roquefort Salad:
 2 pears, thinly sliced (using a mandolin)
 1/2 apple, thinly sliced (using a mandolin)
 100 grams Roquefort, crumbled
 1/4 cup watercress leaves
 2 tbsp. pistachios, roughly chopped
 sea salt and cracked fresh pepper, to taste
 FOR THE DRESSING:
 1/3 cup sour cream
 1 1/2 tsp. white wine vinegar
 2 tbsp. mayonnaise
 pinch of salt
1 garlic, turned to paste
1 cup Roquefort cheese
2 cranks on the pepper grinder
 Prep:
 1.  Using a mandolin, thinly slice pears and half an apple. Place in a bowl of water with a few tablespoons of lemon juice to prevent browning and keep aside.
2.  In a medium bowl, combine all the dressing ingredients and whisk until smooth.
 3.  For plating, stack the pear slices one atop of the other, with a couple apple slices added in. Dress with watercress leaves and chopped pistachios over top and along the sides and crumble Roquefort cheese over top. Lightly pour dressing over top and around the stacked pears. Season.
 4.  Serves 2.

******************

What about these two???


Don't you just want to dive your face right into this soup????  Potatoes, bacon, green onions... OMG!!! 
What could be bad about this?

Slow Cooker Cheesy Potato Soup Recipe
1 bag (32 oz) frozen southern-style diced hash brown potatoes, thawed
1/2 cup frozen chopped onion (from 12-oz bag), thawed
1 medium stalk celery, diced (1/2 cup)
1 carton (32-oz) Progresso® chicken broth
1 cup water
3 tablespoons Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
1 bag (8 oz) shredded American-Cheddar cheese blend (2 cups)
1/4 cup real bacon pieces (from 2.8-oz package)
4 medium green onions, sliced (1/4 cup)
DIRECTIONS:
1. In 3- to 4-quart slow cooker, mix potatoes, onion, celery, broth and water.
2. Cover; cook on Low heat setting 6 to 8 hours.
3. In small bowl, mix flour into milk; stir into potato mixture.   Increase heat setting to High.   Cover; cook 20 to 30 minutes or until mixture thickens.
 Stir in cheese until melted. Garnish individual servings with bacon and green onions. Sprinkle with pepper if desired.

*************************
 



Then we have this scrumptious dessert!  I think I might have to take this to my sewing group!  What a fun treat for everyone.  NO CALORIES....DON'T PANIC!!

Rocky Road Chocolate Cake

1 (18.25-oz.) package German chocolate cake mix
1 (3.9-oz.) package chocolate instant pudding mix
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup sour cream
1/3 cup butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 1/4 cups milk, divided
1 (3.4-oz.) package chocolate cook-and-serve pudding mix
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 1/2 cups miniature marshmallows
1 cup semisweet chocolate morsels
Preparation
1. Beat cake mix, next 5 ingredients, and 1 1/4 cups milk at medium speed with an electric mixer 2 minutes, stopping to scrape down sides as needed. Pour batter into a lightly greased 4-qt. slow cooker.
 2. Cook remaining 2 cups milk in a heavy non aluminum saucepan over medium heat, stirring often, 3 to 5 minutes or just until bubbles appear (do not boil); remove from heat.
 3. Sprinkle cook-and-serve pudding mix over batter. Slowly pour hot milk over pudding. Cover and cook on LOW 3 1/2 hours.
 4. Meanwhile, heat pecans in a small nonstick skillet over medium-low heat, stirring often, 3 to 5 minutes or until lightly toasted and fragrant.
 5. Turn off slow cooker. Sprinkle cake with pecans, marshmallows, and chocolate morsels. Let stand 15 minutes or until marshmallows are slightly melted. Spoon into dessert dishes, and serve with ice cream, if desired.
 Note: This cake will look like it needs to cook just a little longer, but by the time the topping is set, it's ready to serve.


****************************

Okay... today has been all about cooking!  Do you cook?  I can tell you that since owning the store for so many years... I just simply stopped cooking.  My honey traveled all the time and when I got home I was so tired...I was a happy girl to have cereal, or peanut butter sandwich, or popcorn... you know... all of that high carb sugar stuff.  BUT... now that I'm dieting and have more time to prepare things... I'm loving cooking again.  I've been collecting recipes from Pinterest and let me tell you... I have enough to fill MANY binders.  Of course... the majority of them I can't eat (too many calories) but I'm collecting them anyway.  You know... kind of like all the quilt and project patterns that we all buy ((collect)) and put into our pattern library.  Same deal... only this time it's recipes!  LOVE THEM!

Speaking of recipes...it's time to get some more coffee and work on a pattern on the computer I'm designing.  aaahhh.... my fun work is never done.

Have a great Saturday... I'll report tomorrow how the new phone deal is working out!

Chow...  Gloria

Oh... almost forgot... Tip for the day!  Find all the old phones, cords, car jacks... and take them to your local phone store.  If you plan on trading in your phone... many of them give you $$ credit for them.  If not.. donate them...they use them for all kind of great charity projects.  Now you have all of those extra cords out of your house.  Hey...have you ever noticed...that even when you stay with the same phone carrier...just switch phone models... you have to buy all new cords?  It's what you call a pain in the pocketbook...BUT very smart business for them ((even though I hate to admit that)). What a cool, slick way to get into your pocketbook and/or wallet for some more buckos!  Ah.... the American Way!

No comments: